Friday, January 21, 2011

Mental health should be a priority!


Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Yes we are constantly told that mental health is a priority of various governments. How true is this? I don't think people really understand what it is like to be mentally ill. I don't mean seriously ill and cared for, I mean the walking wounded.  Those of us who can have trouble with the ordinary day to day things we all take for granted. When you are subject to panic attacks you feel afraid of having one. That fear can sometimes cause one. Having to deal with any pressure and of course the inevitable pressure you put on yourself can make doing things very difficult. Attending an interview today I had a panic attack because I thought I was going to be late, I couldn't find anywhere to park. When I came out I was so flustered and concerned with the car next to mine that I went to far and touched the barrier. Thankfully no damage was done, I had been driving slowly.

When you are subject to anxiety you can become physically ill and be unable to cope with the slightest thing. This is the nature of this type of condition.

It is just a shame that a disabled man had to experience his own similar symptoms and strain himself physically due to an oversight by a department of Income Support. When dealing with people with mental health problems or disabilities I believe staff should have experienced training in the difficulties many people with a condition or disability of some kind have with ordinary day-to-day tasks and pressure.

When you are ill it may be very difficult to do something you would not have thought twice about doing before. Just because I am ill does not mean I am stupid.

1 comment:

  1. We all feel like that. Few of us can admit it.
    So proud of you... <3

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment